From guest blogger, Lauren Coleman, Rover.com
It is sometimes difficult to find a good place for your dog to go when you have to go out of town for business or vacation. Boarding kennels can be expensive and impersonal. Your dog may be cared for physically, but the staff in a full kennel cannot provide the same love and nurturing that can be found in a home.
At Rover.com, we recently launched our Sit a Dog, Save a Life program. Dog sitters can register to donate all or part of their sitting fees to a specific charity. The participating charities are dedicated to caring for and saving animals, such as the Humane Society and various rescue centers and foundations. The sitter picks an agency to receive the donation and then displays a “badge” on their profile to let dog owners know that they are members of the Sit a Dog, Save a Life program. Dog owners can look at the list of registered program members and choose who they want to watch their dog.
Charities participating in the Sit a Dog, Save a Life program through Rover.com include:
• The Animal Rescue Site
• Association of Pet Sitting Excellence
• Coalition to Unchain Dogs
• Freedom Service Dogs of America
• International Association of Animal Behavioral Consultants
• Pet Tech
• PIMA Medical Institute
• Sit-a-Dog, Save-a-Life General Fund
• Athens Area Humane Society (GA)
• Austin Humane Society (TX)
• Humane Society of Sedona (AZ)
• Humane Society of Greater Miami (FL)
• Oregon Humane Society (OR)
• Seattle Humane Society (WA)
• Southwest Humane Society (WA)
• Wisconsin Humane Society (WI)
• Pennsylvania SPCA (PA)
• SPCA Florida (FL)
• spcaLA (CA)
• PAWS NY (NYC)
• PAWS Philadelphia (PA)
• PAWS Seattle (WA)
• American Pit Bull Foundation (NC)
• Animal Haven (NY)
• Animal Lifeline of Iowa (IO)
• Austin Pets Alive! (TX)
• Cleveland Animal Protective League (OH)
• Dogs Deserve Better (VA)
• Found Animals Foundation (CA)
• Homeward Pet Adoption Center (WA)
• Labrador Friends of the South (GA)
• Lucky Dog Animal Rescue (D.C.)
• MN SNAP (MN)
• Paws 4 You Rescue (FL)
• PawSafe Animal Rescue (CT)
• Pet Savers Spay/Neuter Clinic (WA)
• Pets Unlimited (CA)
• RedRover (CA)
• Stamford Animal Rescue (CT)
• Utah Animal Adoption Center (UT)
Since the beginning of the Sit a Dog, Save a Life program, the monies donated have increased by 150 percent with over 34,000 members. This is a testament to the willingness and dedication of both dog owners and dog sitters to helping dogs and other animals all over the world.
Working with Rover.com allows the dog owner to choose the price and location of where their pet will stay and gives dog sitters the ability to provide a loving place for dogs to go, whether their family is out of town or simply need a daytime dog sitter. By participating in the Sit a Dog, Save a Life program, both the owner and the sitter can contribute to saving the lives of thousands of animals.
Rover.com is a unique service that goes beyond the general kennel feel and offers owners a dog boarding option in their, or someone else’s, home. Our website connects owners and sitters for a mutually beneficial arrangement that makes everyone, including “Rover,” happy.
Lauren Colman serves as the digital marketer for the dog boarding and dog sitting community at Rover.com and is a true dog lover at heart. Lauren spends her days at the office with her dogs Squish and Brando by her side. For more dog tips, you can follow Rover.com on Twitter @roverdotcom or on their blog, Dog Boarding News.